How fibromyalgia can be diagnosed?
- Fibromyalgia – a syndrome that is defined as a complex disorder with widespread musculoskeletal pain, depression, sleep disturbances, morning stiffness, fatigue. The disease is also characterized by the presence of painful areas in the body – the so-called “Pain points.” Among all forms of chronic pain of fibromyalgia syndrome is a leader in the representation of the depression, the degree of maladjustment of patients suffering from this disease, that is, the degree of decline in the quality of their lives. Fibromyalgia – a disease which affects 2-4% of the population (about 20 million).
- Despite the prevalence of the diagnosis of fibromyalgia in US is put extremely rare because of the unusual lack of awareness of the disease and doctors. Patients with fibromyalgia often complain of pain and tingling throughout the body, poor sleep and chronic fatigue. They are prone to depression may suffer headache, dizziness, irritable bowel syndrome, have difficulty concentrating and have memory problems.
- When the manifold and obvious symptoms of fibromyalgia is not detected any organic damage, radiological and laboratory tests show no abnormalities, which hinders the diagnosis. Your doctor may confirm the diagnosis after a neurological examination of the patient, finding multiple tender points in specific locations. Causes of fibromyalgia is still unknown. At first thought, it is an inflammatory disease, but when lack of inflammation in patients with fibromyalgia became apparent, experts have begun to lean toward the psychiatric nature of the disease. Today there are many hypotheses to explain the causes of fibromyalgia. For example, according to one of them, because of the increased sensitivity of the brain in patients with fibromyalgia violation occurs diffuse pain perception. Another hypothesis suggests a possible link with fibromyalgia chronic viral infections (Epstein-Barr virus, herpes and others.). Precipitating factor in the development of fibromyalgia may be surgery, trauma, mental stress, carry-forward of infectious diseases, climate change.
What are the main symptoms?
- Among us there are people every day whose lives are transformed into an endless, painful struggle with pain and lack of understanding … of others. Pain fills the whole body, muscles and joints. I do not want to do anything, “rolled” sadness, fatigue, even aversion to everything around him. Man gets tired of the least physical and emotional stress, sleep is not, and if they come, it does not bring recovery and relief – the person gets frustrated and tired. There are episodes where it becomes hard to walk, the pain deliver simple actions – to take the book, turn the key in the door, pick up the bag. All of this is superimposed on a complete misunderstanding by others. Looking outwardly quite normal looking man, even close friends and family members do not see and can not feel the full force of the pain he has experienced. And colleagues tend to think of such an employee malingerer, not knowing what he is really physically hard work. Even general practitioners, finding no objective reasons for the occurrence of pain, trying to explain their mental disorder patient and, if possible, to entrust his psychiatrist. Man seizes despair. But all this – not fancy the patient. It – fibromyalgia.
It is true that women are more likely to suffer from fibromyalgia than men?
- Unfortunately this is the case. Most patients suffering from fibromyalgia, – a woman aged 35 to 60 years. Chance sick fibromyalgia in women is about 10 times higher than that of men.
How to treat fibromyalgia?
- Recently, people suffering from this disease was doomed to remain alone with his pain and problems. Even in the US, where the greatest successes achieved in the fight against fibromyalgia, the majority of patients the correct diagnosis was on average only six years after the onset of symptoms. The most effective drug for the treatment of fibromyalgia is recognized drug Savella). In 2007, pregabalin has been approved by the US to control the quality of medicines and foodstuffs (FDA) for the treatment of fibromyalgia. And in 2010, the drug ( Received official approval for the treatment of fibromyalgia. It is widely used as non-pharmacological therapy: physical therapy, massage, physical therapy, balneotherapy, psychotherapy, spa treatment. Recommended diving. Individual treatment program is determined by the treating neurologist. The course of treatment is 4-6 months.